The Shakedown Band
Imagine this, a great band playing live music at a square dance being called by four great callers. Sound good? Now imagine that the callers are the musicians!
No need to IMAGINE, The Shakedown Band is a REALITY. Featuring Mike Haworth on lead guitar and banjo, Ty Barnes on drums, Vic Kaaria on guitar, Pat Carnathan on keyboard, Charlie Robertson on bass.
For Booking Information, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the thumbnail above for the flyer in pdf format.
Shake It Up With Shakedown!
In the not so olden days, before cheap electronic amplifiers, and 45 rpm records, the band was the heart of the square dance. You might see old Dr. Humphrey Bate and his Possum Hunters a pickin’ and a grinnin’. At a typically large gathering, there might have been 3 or 4 callers. Each would call to one or more squares, either shouting out the calls or using megaphones so he could be heard. At the end of each dance, the dancers would tip their individual caller. Hence the origin of the term. The folks would rest awhile, dance a waltz, two-step, or perhaps a schottische. Then the callers would move on to new forming squares, and the next tip would begin.
Page 2 of 2
A fabulous venue, smiling faces among a sea of red and white ...
More of a bash.
Well, we had a ball.
Our next event is the Shake(down) Rattle & Roll dance for the Wagon Train Squares! Come out and join us if you can. Here's a link to the flyer:
Not much action on the song poll from New Years Eve. We've updated it for the Sweetheart Ball. We're still interested to know what you'd like to hear again!
What's Your Favorite Sweetheart Song?
- New Year's Eve Bash, December 31, Cowtown, Riverside CA
Done Deal -- Happy New Year!
- A Square D 50th Anniversary Sweetheart Ball, February 10, Hawthorne CA
Done Deal -- Nothing Like a Party with 500+ Dancers! What a Hoot!
- Wagon Train Squares, May 11 at Cowtown, Riverside CA
Done Deal -- Thanks for hosting us, Wagon Train Squares!
- New Years Eve Bash, December 31 at Cowtown, Riverside CA
- Sundown Squares Anniversary Dance, March 1, San Diego, CA
- Wagon Train Squares, June 14 at Cowtown, Riverside CA
- The Funsters, October 4, Covina CA
- Boots & Slippers, November 22, Simi Valley CA
- Wagon Train Squares, May 9 at Cowtown, Riverside CA
- Private Party, October 17, Riverside CA
* Actual Location To Be Determined